Quarter Quarter Half: A Healthier, Balanced Meal
A balanced meal is a diet that includes all three of the major food categories which are proteins, carbohydrates, and vegetables. The quarter quarter half method allows you to divide your plate into a quarter of protein, a quarter of carbs, and half veggies. This will help you to improve your meal plan.
What is quarter quarter half plate?
The Quarter Quarter Half (QQH) idea is a simple visual tool that allows you to determine if a meal is healthy and balanced quickly. QQH is single-meal consumption guidance that helps you to divide your plate as follows:
- ¼ plate grains or grain products, preferably whole grains such as brown rice or wholemeal bread. Increase your intake of whole grains or good carbs for a healthier diet. Whole grains have been shown to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes, protect against malignancies such as colorectal and esophageal cancer, and aid in weight control.
- ¼ plate of fish or, poultry, meat, or egg. Avoid processed meals such as hot dogs and deli meat, which have been linked to an increased risk of cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. Because the yolk is rich in cholesterol, limit yourself to three to four eggs each week. Limit eating internal organs such as the liver and gut which are causes of increasing your cholesterol levels.
- ½ plate of fruits and vegetables. Choose colorful fruits and vegetables for their phytochemicals which are chemical components that help prevent chronic diseases and have cancer-prevention qualities. Other advantages include a lower risk of heart attack, stroke, and high blood pressure, as well as a lower risk of eye and intestinal disorders.
Tips to build quarter quarter half plate
Choose the right plate size
Besides sticking to QQH, it is important to use the appropriate size of your plate. A too-small plate can not ensure a sufficient amount of nutrition. On the other hand, if your plate is too big, you may consume more calories than you need. You should also avoid using adult-sized dishes for children since it is easy to overestimate how much food to serve them. 23cm (9 inches) plates are recommended for adults while 18 cm (7 inches) ones are for children.
Follow BMV principle
BMV is the abbreviation of balance, moderation, and variety that you should apply with the QQH method.
- Balance: A full meal includes the main food categories from the food pyramid in order to receive the necessary nutrients on a daily basis: rice, cereals, and grains for carbs; fish, poultry, meats, eggs, and legumes for protein; and fruits and vegetables for vitamins and minerals.
- Moderation: Stick to the suggested portion sizes for each meal to meet the food pyramid’s recommended servings of each food category.
- Variety: Vary the major food categories on your plate helps your meals less boring every day, but more significantly, utilizing a range of foods guarantees that you get the diversity of nutrients that the body needs.
Healthier cooking techniques
Cooking techniques may have a big impact on how healthy a portion of food is. For example, deep-fried foods containing more oil are not preferred. Choosing cooking methods such as steaming, baking, grilling, or blanching is a better way to keep you healthy.
Consume healthier oils
Lower-saturated-fat oils (canola, soy, and olive oils) are healthier for your health. In addition, you should limit your consumption of saturated and trans fats.
Benefits of quarter quarter half guidance
Consume sufficient nutrients
The quarter quarter half method supplies the human body with the vital nutrients that you need to execute various activities properly. Without a well-balanced diet, the body is more prone to weariness, infections, illnesses, and decreased activity. Children, on the other hand, should eat a varied diet rich in nutrients to avoid stunted development and growth, various diseases, and poor academic performance. Children who do not consume enough healthy meals are more prone to develop lifelong poor eating patterns.
Manage your portion sizes
People who have a habit of skipping meals or don’t get enough calories and nutrients in a day can experience malnutrition. Besides, somebody has to suffer from obesity because they eat a lot and can not control how much they consume. To avoid weight gain, calorie consumption should be balanced, saturated fat and salt intake should be reduced. Additionally, quantities of sugar should not be consumed too much as it is one of the factors that contribute to the risk of obesity.
A quarter quarter half plate with the right size will provide you with enough calories and sufficient nutrients. Applying quarter quarter half in every meal will protect them from both malnutrition and obesity.
Prevent chronic diseases
In modern life, some people have a sedentary lifestyle, physical inactivity, and an improper diet which can pose significant health concerns. Moreover, many chronic diseases result from an unhealthy diet. For example, too much salt can raise blood pressure, increasing the chance of having a stroke or developing heart disease. The quarter quarter half strategy ensures adequate nutrients, which maintains the body active and healthy. A decent, nutritious diet protects the body against noncommunicable illnesses such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, and diabetes.
Control your blood cholesterol levels
Saturated fat consumption raises blood cholesterol levels, increasing the risk of heart disease. Therefore, the quarter quarter half method suggests you consume less unhealthy products such as processed items and more quality foods such as whole grains, good fat, vegetables and fruits.